Practice Blog

Blogs. To be honest this is not a topic that I was very familiar with prior to this project. I think in the time of social media, a lot of what I knew as “blogging” in my childhood transitioned to many different platforms. After my research, I find blogs to be something much more than I originally thought. They can be educational, informative, and entertaining. Much of what I discovered was that a blog’s “feel” is determined by the author’s purpose, just like any other form of writing. Personally, I believe that the best use of having a platform such as a blog is to share advice from personal experiences or information that can help grow your audience’s knowledge on specific topics. Additionally, in order to have a successful blog it must be neat and organized. You have to be mindful of the ability levels of different readers and their experience on the internet, so it must be clear, concise, and easily navigated.

I would like to highlight one blog specifically that I enjoyed called Advice From A Twenty Something. One of the reasons I felt drawn to this blog was because trying to figure out how to be an adult is difficult at times. It can be reassuring to hear from someone your own age about the things you may have questions about in your daily life. This blog included helpful advice in all areas of life, such as beauty, wellness, and career. For someone who doesn’t always have a lot of free time on their hands, I appreciate a website based on self-improvement. The other reason I felt drawn to this blog was because it appeared clean and organized, it wasn’t overwhelming to look at. It was formatted specifically to navigate through different tabs depending on the reader’s interests. It also had uniform colors, titles, and spacing which is pleasing to the eye. I enjoyed the author’s choice of visuals as well, all the pictures are of average people in relatable situations.

One blog that I was not as intrigued by is called Hollywood Life. Although this blog is primarily meant for entertainment, I would prefer having factual information rather than content the author assumes will receive the most attention. This blog was clearly designed with the intention to draw their audience in with shocking titles and what is more formally known as “click-bait”. Many of the articles included in this website were based on celebrity gossip and pop culture news instead of useful information. This does not come off as reliable to me. In my opinion, I felt that this blog was less appealing appearance wise. It uses harsh colors, unpleasing images of celebrities, and the format was unorganized. 

To conclude, I hope my examples have brought you insight on what I find to be important when it comes to blogs and being successful. I prefer an organized, calm, and clean feel. Something that shares useful ideas and knowledge to the audience. It must be easy to navigate, you never know who may be interested in your website and the information you chose to share. If you have a platform, I hope you take advantage of the opportunity to share uplifting and reliable content.

Comments

  1. This is great! I would use more casual conversation next time as it is supposed to be a casual/professional blog. Also, how did you change your blog background color?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Vanessa,

    I really enjoyed reading your post! You and I are definitely on the same page with regards to blogs. I also saw blogs as a mostly outdated form of social media use, but this assignment helped me realize their full potential.
    I am glad I'm not the only one who can't stand celebrity-focused blogs and their flashy, over-the-top, clickbait articles.

    -Logan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand being drawn to a blog that is relatable. I also agree that blogs are made to personally interact with the audience, and used as a site to receive advice. More so, the fact that blogs have transitioned into social media platforms is crucial to understanding our generation! I would love to hear more about your exploration in blogging. -Lee Gilmore

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Entry #1. Bullet Journaling